A new start

I just 'redesigned' the look and header of this blog. Some things are waiting to be shared but I need to think them through these few days while I wrap up my current projects (http://www.facebook.com/sharehappySingapore), and before I start on new ones (yes I already have work confirmed and lined up till end of October).

For now, I shall talk about the movie INCEPTION and what it means to me.

I watched INCEPTION yesterday and was inspired both personally and professionally. The story is an interesting one, to say the least. The plot engaging but I half suspect that a large number of Singaporeans may find it tedious, preferring popcorn fare such as Prince of Persia to this.

This is not to say Singaporeans are generally lazy or stupid. Our lives sometimes just make us choose what is easier when picking entertainment, away from work's grind; without having to think so hard.

Short of going into the a review and analysis of the film (for the review, you can find it at incinemas.sg by another reviewer), I think INCEPTION affects me much as many people in the way that it manages to put into film what we can identify but can't really put into words. Some of these ideas are not now, but when packaged in the way INCEPTION, it becomes a novel way of looking at old news.

I can identify with the following:

1 Our dreams seem real.

2 Time seems to pass slower in dreams than in reality.

3 When we realise that we are dreaming, our dreams start to fall apart (at least for me).

4 I sometimes engineer my surroundings in my dream to fit my purpose (a Freudian analysis altogether) but yes, I do project my subconscious in my dreams and sometimes I know it.

I can't say I remember most of my dreams, as most seem to be independent and discrete from each other (very mathematical I know). However I also had the privilege to experience continuous and episodic dreams. i.e. subsequent dreams (after a period of time, say days, or months, that seem to form a larger story continuously from where my earlier dream left off. They are not often but they are exciting when they do happen. I can't say for sure when they do. One such 'series' is the flying dream, where by conditioning my mind and adjusting my body instinctly, I will start to float and can travel to places I choose to go. Dream on I know, but such dreams make me happy and empowers me, giving me greater energy and making me alert to face the real (?) world the next day.

Conversely, there are times when I know I'm dreaming, but I can't wake up from it even hard as I try, when my body receives a kick (usually pain in my kidney area due to my pillow pressing on me) but the mind refuses to release me from my dream. Such times I struggle futilely as time seems to pass so slowly. This is my personal version of 'Nightmare on Elm Street'. Usually I encounter so much pain at my waist, which appears real to me, to the point that it becomes no longer bearable, then do I wake up. And yes, my body feels the pain but much duller when I'm awake.

Thirdly, I have solved most of the problems I encounter during the day since I was young. We are not talking about mathematical or social problems. Usually projects which require me to think different. Out of the box if you choose to see it. But to me, my dreams allow me to drop logic, facts and allows my imagination to take over. So, I'm most creative when I dream and that is one reason why I like to sleep. Perhaps you can try this too. It works for me. I write down the problem I try to solve or think about it seriously for a few minutes just before I drift off to sleep, at the state of semi-consciousness. Usually I would have found what I thought was a brilliant solution that could not have happened if I were awake. This is also why I tend to thank God in the morning instead of before sleep. As a side note, I find it unacceptable to pray to 'God' for a solution, so I rather give thanks for the solution for coming to me.

OK, enough about me, but as dreams are personal, I can't take myself out of it completely. Back to the film, what INCEPTION offers in addition is the idea that you can enter someone's dream and subconscious and 'peek'/'steal' whatever he/she is thinking at the superficial and subconscious levels. I bet this film is going to be a hot discussion point for all our psychology students.

If you still don't have much of a idea of what I'm saying, it's best to experience the film for yourself, but unlike some films where reading the book beforehand enhances the pleasure of watching the film. It is probably best that you start dreaming before watching this film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stock-taking

Looking for Ex-Classmates Missing in Action

The Perfect Curry Puff