Teahouse of the August Moon

We've actually planned to have a gathering tonight... but there's just to many things going on in the office. Stuff left unpacked and undecided, work unfinished and lots more to rush, so we had to call it off. There's a new colleague coming this Friday and more preparations had to be made in order for people to do their job properly.

Just remembered the 'Teahouse of the August Moon'. A production I was involved when I was 14 or 15...with Raffles Players. the well-known Jeff Chen in drama circles was then known as Jeffery Chen Rihui. He was Sakini, the effervescent Japanese in the play. There was also Vincent as Lotus Blossom. Can't exactly remember who Cpt Fishby was. But Aaron Loh and Tay Yu'Jin was involved. Aaron was a very good friend of mine... but I guess we have drifted apart, since he was 1 year older than I was. Yu'Jin was 2 years older, but he never spoke to me after a misunderstanding. I was young then and didn't know how to handle situations appropriately and I trusted the wrong people as well. I never even had the opportunity to defend my case, and all I knew at that time was to cry. Yeah, I cried as the entire fiasco really hurt me badly, with Yu'Jin writing a really long and nasty letter to me. Rumour mongers are never as frightening as people who spread half-truths. This is one of my greatest regrets in life. One which I shall never forget. On hindsight, I was also largely responsible for what transpired, and who's to blame. I suppose I would have to say myself.

Nowadays, I've started to miss my friends I have made when I was in RI. They were some of the best memories I have in life. I hope that they won't be the best in my whole life thereafter. I loved the vitality and strength I had then, with little to worry about. Things I had to worry about then were so easily solved. Somehow all that has left me. I felt broken in spirit at times, when I recall the happy times I had when I was there then.

College was a different issue altogether, there were girls in AJC but only one girl in RJC caught my attention. Nevertheless, I never plucked the courage to do anymore than just say hi. The close friends I had in college were mostly nowhere to be found now. Esther and Dawn are somewhere in San Francisco and New York respectively, or so I was led to believe. Grace Cheong is with MCDS and I had been postponing my promised lunch for ages. According to Grace, Suzanne is happily married and with a kid, and I last I saw of her was her wedding. Lishan is married last year and I attended her wedding.

Somehow Drama is always linked to RI and Choir and Council with AJC. Life in school seemed to revolve more around the ECAs than my studies. I was never a really good student, I think, in the eyes of the teachers. I hand in my work late and I don't particuarly study for tests and exams. I believed then that if I had learnt when I was to learn in class, I would have no problem answering questions without having to 'start learning' for the sake of the test. So I don't score very high marks as whatever I had written in my test papers are genuinely whatever I had learnt in class. the keyword is learnt, not taught. In that respect, I owe some teachers a great apology. There were there for me, but I was not always there to accept their kindness.

There's just too much reminising tonight. It must have been the moon. Add to that, the knowledge that my uncle is probably not going to live past 1 month from cancer. Life is fragile and I'm just saddened that we never grab the chance to live fully everyday, myself included. I shall try to laze around less and complain less. Life is just too precious to devote to inaction.

It's time for a shower and I have written enough and done what I could for the day. I shall read a book thereafter and go to bed. Hopefully, I shall be able to face tomorrow with renewed vigour, even without the help of the full moon as I was born in the year of the rabbit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stock-taking

Looking for Ex-Classmates Missing in Action

The Perfect Curry Puff